One day in 1919, a shabby and sad-looking Chinese man was wandering aimlessly in downtown San Antonio and was asked by a sympathetic Christian woman if she could assist him in any way. The man told of his loneliness and wished he and his people had a place to learn English. God opened the woman’s heart to ask other Christian friends to start a class teaching English using the Bible as a textbook. Compassionate Christians from Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist churches rallied to the cause.
A central location was needed to hold the classes and the city allowed them to meet at the old historic Spanish Governor’s Palace by the city hall. Due to interruptions by sidewalk people the group found an upstairs location on west commerce street which was named “the upper room” and continued classes and worship services.
The English classes were successful and many Chinese became believers of Jesus Christ. They understood that the Bible instructed new believers to be put “into the water" in baptism, so they were baptized by immersion at local Baptist churches.
In 1923, the Chinese Gospel Mission, as it was called, was organized as The First Chinese Baptist Church. Other faithful Baptist workers continued to “Bring in the Chinese” following the instructions from the hymn “Bringing in the sheaves”. The "wheat was white unto harvest". They succeeded!
In 1940, the church moved to 601 Avenue B, in a small chapel with only three classrooms. Bible classes met outdoors in the summer and in cars in the winter. With a $10,0000 donation from the Women’s Missionary Union, the church purchased two lots next door in 1956. A new education building and sanctuary was built on this property. Both the Chinese population and church grew as the Lord blessed.
Space limitations on Avenue B forced the church to look for another location. In 1994, Valero Corporation behind the church purchased the property and this allowed the church to purchase land where most of the Chinese resided, in northwest San Antonio. Property was purchased on 5481 Prue Road on which three buildings were constructed.
Our MISSION is to worship God, to build up one another, and to reach out to others with the love and message of Jesus Christ.
Our VISION is a united, spiritually healthy, God-centered church, with active members, discipled and equipped to reach the Asian and American community through evangelism and ministry..
Baptists are people who profess a living faith. Our faith is rooted in Jesus Christ who is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." The sole authority for faith and practice is the Bible, the Word of God. As Baptists, we believe that every believer is a priest unto God and has direct access to Him through prayer and communion. We are self-governed and self-supported by the church members.
Pastor John is a native of San Antonio and grew up in our church. He trusted Christ as his Savior during a youth retreat in 1971. Pastor John
graduated from Trinity University with a bachelor's degree in Biology and later was led to commit his life to full time ministry. He attended
Dallas Theological Seminary, where he received a Master's of Theology in Old Testament.
After graduating from seminary, Pastor John was ordained at the Chinese Baptist Church of Miami, where he ministered for twenty years. Prior to coming to San Antonio, Pastor John served as Minister of Curriculum and Care at First Baptist Church of Ft. Lauderdale.
Pastor John has been happily married to his wife Lily for 30 years; they have two sons, Joshua and wife Meagan, and Daniel.
...to receive e-newsletters and special announcements!